How to join a video call
As you are working with your wellness provider, you may connect through a video call (telehealth) session. This guide includes tips and instructions on how you can successfully join a video appointment from your computer or mobile device. You can download a PDF version of this handout here for your convenience.
Note: If you have a video call and are trying to reach your provider to coordinate, we recommend messaging your provider via Chat
IN THIS ARTICLE:
What is Telehealth?
Telehealth / video call sessions enable you, via a computer or mobile device ( iOS app and Android app links), to securely meet with your provider on the go through a video call. It allows you to conveniently connect with your wellness provider. All you need is an internet connection and a device.
To ensure a quality connection during your session, we recommend that you have:
- Desktop computer/laptop with a webcam, speakers, and sufficient memory OR
- Smartphone device with at least iOS 11 or Android 6.0 installed (you will need to download the Healthie iOS app or Android app)
- You will not be able to connect to a telehealth session from the web browser (E.g., safari) if using your phone.
- A strong internet connection, that is at least 10 Mbps in strength.
We recommend testing your video chat prior to your first telehealth session, to confirm that you have enabled your microphone and camera.
Accessing video call from a computer or mobile device
Healthie makes it easy to launch a video call with your wellness provider. Typically, your video sessions will launch using Healthie's built-in telehealth tool, which means you only need to log into your Healthie account from a computer or the mobile app.
However, for some sessions, your provider may have created the call as a Zoom session. We'll walk through launching a Zoom call in the next section. Follow the instructions below to launch a video call through Healthie.
From a computer:
- You will not need to download anything prior to a video call appointment on your computer/laptop.
- Log in to your Healthie account
- If you have an appointment scheduled, 10 minutes before your session begins, a bar will appear on your screen.
- Click on this bar, and you will be taken to your appointment room.
or, if you want to join more than 10 minutes in advance:
- Select the Appointments tab on the left side of your navigation bar
- Click on the appointment that is scheduled on the right side
- Select "Click to Join"
From your phone:
- Download the Healthie app (iOS app and Android app links)
- Click on the menu (three lines) in the top left corner of the app
- Click on "Video chat" and you will be taken to the video conference room.
Launch a Healthie Zoom session
Healthie's video calls can be conducted directly through the platform/app as a Healthie video call, or through Zoom, depending on how your wellness provider has set up your appointment. Zoom is a secure web conferencing platform. You can join Zoom appointments from your mobile device or computer, just like a typical Healthie video session.
You won't need to create a Zoom account to launch the session, but you will need to have the Zoom app installed on your device in order to join the call.
From your phone:
1) Download the Zoom app:
- For iOS, visit the Apple App Store and search "Zoom"
- For Android, visit the Goole Play Store and search "Zoom"
2) To join the telehealth session...
- Login to your Healthie account from the app on your mobile device.
- Click the "Video Chat" button in the left hand menu.
- You'll see the appointment details listed with an option to "Join." Select this button; this will open up Zoom and begin your video session.
From your computer:
1) Download the Zoom app.
- For any computer, you can download the Zoom app here.
2) To join the telehealth session...
- Login to your Healthie account at gethealthie.com from Google Chrome or Firefox. (Zoom is not compatible with other browsers.)
- Go to the Appointments tab on the side bar, find the session you'd like to join, and click "Join Call."
- Or, 10 minutes before your session, you'll also see a banner appear at the top of your portal that you can click on to join the session.
Video Call Best Practices
- We recommend testing your video chat prior to your first video call session, to ensure that your camera/microphone is enabled.
- Please review this Video call troubleshooting guide if you are still having trouble connecting to a session
- If you are experiencing video choppiness, please make sure you have a strong internet connection. We recommend connecting to WiFi, depending on your specific region.
Note: During your first time that you launch a Healthie Video Call from the mobile app, you will be prompted to give access to your audio and your video. For the best telehealth experience, you must give these permissions by clicking "Allow" or "Ok" when prompted. If you've denied access to your camera or video, you'll see guidance on how to fix it by going to your phone settings.
Video Call FAQs
How can I improve the quality of my video connection?
Test your internet connection speed to ensure it meets our recommended requirements
Close other windows and programs that you may have open. Make sure you are not simultaneously downloading large files / have anti-virus scanners running while using Telehealth
Is my session secure?
Healthie is a HIPAA-compliant platform, which means that we use the highest industry standards to protect your information. This includes video calls. Whether you use Healthie's video call or our direct integration with Zoom, your call is secure. You can learn more about our security measures here.
Who can I contact if I'm having technical issues?
We suggest that you reach out to your wellness provider first to learn if there are any other steps you can take to launch your call. You can also email our team at email@example.com for support.